JVS Scholarship 2017-2018 Applications and Instructions
To apply for a JVS Scholarship, carefully read the following 6 instruction steps and then click on the application links at the bottom of the instructions to begin your application. Application and all documents must be postmarked by March 6, 2017.
Review all eligibility requirements carefully.
FAFSA Changes for 2017-2018
On September 14, 2015, President Obama announced significant changes to the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) process.
The 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) session will begin earlier than previous FAFSA application cycles. Beginning on October 1, 2016, students will be able to fill out the FAFSA for the 2017-2018 school year. (In the past, applicants had to wait until January 1). In addition, applicants will no longer need to estimate income and tax information and will be able to retrieve their date directly from the IRS (their tax documents from the previous year), right from the first day the FAFSA is available. Applicants will also have information about their Expected Family Contributions earlier, which will help them through the college application and selection process.
Complete and file a 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible and obtain a copy of 2017-2018 Student Aid Report (SAR). If you have any questions about the FAFSA or SAR, please contact your school’s financial aid office.
Your school counselor or financial aid office will have blank applications, or you may complete an application online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Be aware of websites that charge a fee for submission of the FAFSA – you do not need to utilize these websites. If you submit via www.fafsa.ed.gov, there is no fee.
After filing your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), which you will need to submit to JVS along with your other supplemental documents. You can download and print a PDF version of your SAR from the FAFSA website. Make sure you are downloading a copy of your SAR and not a copy of your application information.
Click here for a sample of what your SAR should look like when you save it as a pdf.
Note: The Scholarship Committee will not consider any applicant whose financial information is deemed incomplete.
We understand that at times you can only provide estimates in responding to certain items on the application and/or action from a school or funding source is still pending. Where this is so, include estimated figures – do not leave blank.
Tip: If you need to take a break, or come back to submit your online application at a later time, click “Save” at the bottom of the application form. Return to complete it at your convenience prior to the deadline. Log on with the same user name and password you established, go to “My Applications” and select the application you would like to complete.
Save time by gathering all of the information you’ll need to complete the application process in advance. You’ll need:
- Detailed information (name, date, hours per week/weeks per year) for your academic honors, schools activities, community activities, and paid work experience.
- The name and contact information for the person you will be asking to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. The details about who can write a letter of recommendation and how the letter of recommendation can be submitted can be found in Section 14 of the Online Application.
- Your (the student) 2016 income information.
- Your (the student) spouse’s 2016 income information (if applicable).
- Your parents' 2016 income information (if you are a dependent student, as defined in the application).
- The 2017-2018 Cost of Attendance for your program: The Cost of Attendance budget can be obtained from your school's Financial Aid office or website. If the 2017-2018 budget is not available, use the 2016-2017 budget. (If you are not sure what school you will be attending, submit the information for your 1st choice school).
- A list of the value of all of your assets, including but not limited to:
- Checking accounts
- Savings accounts
- Real estate
- Federal student loans
- Private student loans
- A list of your current student debt (what you owe today), including:
- Your 2017-2018 Student Aid Report (SAR) generated by your 2017-2018 FAFSA
- A copy of your financial aid award letter for 2017-2018 (if you attended college the previous year and have not yet received your new aid letter by the date of application submission, submit a copy of your financial aid award letter for 2016-2017) and a list of your expected resources for the 2017-2018 school year (in other words, how you expect to pay for school next year).
Submit: After you have entered all of the data requested in the application, click “Submit” on the bottom of the final page. You will be asked to review any answers that were left blank or entered in an unrecognized format. Once all information is entered correctly, don't forget to click “Submit” at the bottom of the final page.
We encourage all applicants to fill out, complete and submit their application promptly and thoroughly as scholarship funds are limited. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, in the order they are received.
You will receive an email confirmation that your application has been successful submitted. Please make sure to check your “Junk Mail” folder if you do not receive this email in your “In-Box”.
You must respond to all requests from JVS for additional information as quickly as possible. Failure to do so could result in disqualification of your application.
All questions on the application must be answered clearly and completely. If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to [email protected] Do not call. Inquiries will be answered by e-mail only.
NOTE: If you were a JVS Scholarship recipient in a prior academic year (pre-2016), you are considered a new applicant and should use the "new applicant" link at the end of these instructions. If you previously applied, but did not receive a JVS Scholarship, you are also considered a new applicant and should use the "new applicant" link at the end of these instructions.
We recommend that you print a copy of your completed application for your records.
Download, print and complete this resume form. All applicants must use this form. You can either scan and upload your completed resume form or mail your completed resume form along with your other supplemental materials to JVS.
Download, print and complete this Declaration of Legal Domicile/Certification of Application. You may either scan and upload your completed Declaration of Legal Domicile form or mail your completed Declaration of Legal Domicile form along with your other supplemental materials to JVS.
If you are a dependent student, you will also need one parent’s signature on the Declaration of Legal Domicile/Certification of Application. (Definition of dependent student: if you are a high school senior or undergraduate student under the age of 24, are single, and have no children, you are considered a dependent student for financial aid purposes.)
Download, print and complete this JVS Statement of Non-Filing and submit by no later than March 6, 2017 either via e-mail to [email protected] or by mail to:
JVS Scholarship Program
Jewish Vocational Service
6505 Wilshire Blvd, #200
Los Angeles, CA 90048
DEPENDENT STUDENTS (as defined in the online application) must submit:
1. Your (the student's) 2016 Federal Tax Return or JVS Statement of Non-Filing
2. Your Parents' 2016 Federal Tax Return
If your parents are divorced or separated and file separately, any financial support from your non-custodial parent must be included in your application.
If your parents list you as a "dependent" on their tax return and/or you earned no income in 2016 (i.e., your only source of financial support was your family or financial aid from your school), you must still submit a JVS Statement of Non-Filing by the March deadline.
INDEPENDENT STUDENTS (as defined in the online application) must submit:
1. Your (the student's) 2016 Federal Tax Return
2. JVS Statement of Non-Filing
All applicants (regardless of work history and financial situation) must submit either: 2016 Federal Tax Return or JVS Statement of Non-Filing or your application will not be considered.
Important Note: Your application will only be accepted electronically by hitting the submit tab - we do not accept applications by mail or email. If your supplemental materials have not been uploaded directly into your online application when completing STEPS 3, 4 and 5 ABOVE, submit your supplemental materials via mail:
JVS Scholarship Program
Jewish Vocational Service
6505 Wilshire Blvd, #200
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Warning: Applications without the following required suplemental documents will not be reviewed:
- Cost of Attendance Budget for the school you will be attending in Fall 2017. This can be obtained from your school’s Financial Aid Office or website. If the 2017-2018 budget is not available, submit the 2016-2017 budget. (If you are not sure what school you will be attending, submit the information for your 1st choice school).
- Declaration of Legal Domicile Form (including parent’s signature for dependent students).
- Completed 2017-2018 Student Aid Report (SAR) (all sections). You should download your SAR as a PDF document from the FAFSA website, and print it.
- Official academic transcript. An official school transcript is issued by the school Registrar and contains an official signature, date processed and an embossed or raised seal. Photocopies and facsimiles of transcripts will not be accepted. Renewal applicants may send in a non-official transcript as long as it is a complete document and shows the school and grades. If you have attended multiple academic institutions, you only need to submit an official transcript for your most recent (or current) school of attendance. (Your transcript may be sent separately if your school will not issue directly to the student.
- Proof of permanent U.S. residency if born outside the U.S. (e.g., a copy of your U.S. Passport or Green Card). Current 2016-2017 JVS Scholarship recipients may omit.
- Resume form.
- Tax Forms or JVS Statement of Non-Filing.
Make a copy of all supplemental documents prior to submitting to our office. JVS is not responsible for lost supplemental materials. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit supplemental materials with return receipt confirmation from the U.S. Postal Service. If your application materials are lost in the mail, it will be your responsibility to prove that the materials were postmarked on the appropriate date.
There is no need to send your supplemental materials by Priority Mail or Federal Express - documents will be accepted so long as they are POSTMARKED by the appropriate date.
Please be advised that the security guards in the lobby of our office building are not responsible for proper delivery of supplemental materials. If you decide to hand-deliver your materials, as opposed to sending via U.S. Mail, you do so at your own risk.
ANY SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS POSTMARKED AFTER THE APPROPRIATE DATE (March 6, 2017) WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
If you have any questions, email [email protected]
If you are a CURRENT JVS GRADUATE OR UNDERGRADUATE Scholarship recipient (2016-2017), DO NOT click on the link below to access the scholarship application site, Instead, please send an email to [email protected] requesting the RENEWAL GRADUATE OR UNDERGRADUATE application link.
To access the NEW Undergraduate application please click on the link below:
To access the NEW Graduate application please click on the link below:
Scholarship Program Manager
6505 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Email: [email protected]